Q: Will Healthy Aging Change Your Life?

April 10, 2010

The time has come when older age has become middle age:

For a 9th time, Elizabeth Taylor wants to marry, and Demi Moore would like a 4th child.

If your life is full of love and success would you do the same at their age?

DiggFacebookBlogger PostTwitterDeliciousMySpaceGoogle GmailShare

{ 16 comments… read them below or add one }

Ann Straus April 10, 2010 at 8:19 pm

Absolutely yes. I commend them for doing such brave things at their age and looking forward doing the same in 30 years. Just hope by that time it will be less complicated.

Luda April 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm

When I was a little girl, I heard someone say about a beautiful woman “she ages gracefully”. Since then I wanted someone say the same about me. I am a strong believer that protecting your health from the very young age is much better than following the philosophy that “modern medicine can cure anything”. We need to teach our younger generation the science behind food, the principles of staying healthy. Healthy people are happy! We need more happy people around!

Laura April 11, 2010 at 12:56 pm

There comes a point when desiring another child or marriage is not the wisest decision. Would one have the capabilities energy-wise to properly nurture and raise a child? “Demi” would be in her late sixties when the child finally passed through college and a few learning years. Does she have the financial means? Yes, but there is a lot more than monetary support that is required which her other children would have enjoyed. Considering Dame Taylor’s announcement, frankly, it reeks of opportunism on the to-be husband’s part since it is known that he is gay. However, late-late marriages have less negative outcomes then bringing more children into the world in later years.

More to the point, people should be free to do as they please as long as they don’t hurt others. The others could include the very children born into their decision. Clearly, these individuals do not possess true tranquility and satisfaction if they are looking to entertain these life altering possibilities. I would hope by an older age that I would be capable of using my energies to help the community and not be a burden to my adult children since I would not require live-in help or constant care.

Paula April 11, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Would I do the same, probably not, I’ve already done that, but I might try to reinvent myself, choose a new career, travel to exotic places, live somewhere else, learn a new language…If these scientific discoveries allowed me to stay young and energetic, it might make me happier. There’d be more time to do the things we feel we are missing out on in our thirties and forties, when we’re busy with children and careers.

Clemencia April 11, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Healthy aging would most definitely change my life. You always want more hours in your day to do what you want and need to do think about just having all the time you want just because you are not aging. I am in my mid thirties just married with no children. Growing up you do what you can to not get pregnant and from 35 and up you do everything you can so you could get pregnant. By aging healthy you eliminate the stress or your time clock and you don’t have to worry about being to old to raise a child at a later stage in your life. What an incredible thing it would be to be able to live for a long time, you never have to think about I didn’t have time to do that because time just passed me by.

DC April 11, 2010 at 7:32 pm

It seems fair to guess that if I am to live 50 years longer then so might my wife. The real question becomes, what do you get her for your 500th anniversary.

Jitka April 12, 2010 at 3:12 am

The slowdown of aging would be a marvelous thing with of course huge socio-economic impact. From my personal perspective it would be great to have kids later without worries whether I can or if it is healthy for them. But in general: would be Healthy Aging the privilege only for western society, what about developing countries? Can you imagine billions of healthy aging Asians or Africans with the economic consequences for the third world? I do not.

Yana April 12, 2010 at 11:42 am

To slow down our aging can make us think that we have enough time to enjoy much longer of single and nice lives and have kids later and consequently, have more time to learn and do something for this world.
However, the most critical fact remains: we never know when we’re going to die anyway.
For me, this issue means that if it happens that counties have to deal with too many and too old people, it also means that health, health insurance and social systems have to change accordingly.
For example, in Czech Republic, you retire at 62 or something like this and the people in working age , from 18 to 62 will stop being able to earn money for retired people who live till 150.
Therefore, very important change has to take place in what it means “productive age” and how we would deal with “retired age” … and this can be very urgent issue and must evoke a level of awareness in this generation now.

Manana April 12, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I would not do the same. I am 47 and had pretty challenging life. Instead, I will do essential things that I missed in my youth, i.e. travelling, eating heatlhy, collecting world art, comforting my children’s lives, doing philanthropy, and above all, will take care my old folks who missed even more when they were young.

Narcissistic hedonist April 13, 2010 at 8:21 am

I don’t know exactly what you mean with ‘healthy aging’. All I want is to be indefinitely young and beautiful and feel certain that I will never become old and decrepit. If I achieved that then I’d spend some time having lots of sex with other young and beautiful ‘demigods’, probably in combination with drugs. After that I don’t know, maybe I’d pursue some higher state of enlightenment or maybe I’d just kill myself.

Nicole Zahour April 13, 2010 at 10:52 am

Healthy aging is certainly something I am interested in, and it will effect everyone’s lives. There are positives and negatives to it though. Using that time to grow and live a helpful, constructive life is great- doing more philanthropy, developing in your field, etc. But there is the added cost of healthcare for the aging, social security and retirement money… our whole economic system would need a complete overhaul. It is something to ponder.

Ina April 13, 2010 at 12:32 pm

To postpone aging would certainly be a great achievement especially for women. Unlike men, women have to choose between a career and a family or squeeze both into a tight schedule, often sacrificing their health. Having just 10 years added to their youthful time could make a huge difference in terms of life satisfaction.

Julia April 13, 2010 at 7:57 pm

I am 15 years old and pregnant. I would love to postpone my pregnancy for another 40 years. My reality brings me feelings of memory loss, heart attack and stroke. In my opinion, the trick is to defeat not the age but loneliness. Please pray for me to find my child’s father in six months not in 40 years.

Tatyana Li April 13, 2010 at 9:03 pm

I am 36 and want to have a child badly. I feel it is the most precious and beautifil experience in any woman’s life. Nobody can know better nor judge. It is never wrong. Of course, there are few circumstances and timing you can think But wanting and having a child makes us realize and apprecaite our lives.

Tamilla April 15, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I think I would love to age in a healthy way and live till 150 if my friends and family do the same. It probably would change my life a bit but not much. I would not postpone marriage, pregnancy, etc. I would want to enjoy seeing my kids, grandkids and greatgrandkids grow and see what will become of them!

Colista April 19, 2010 at 11:33 am

Hmmm it seems like a double-edged sword, yes I’d love to live longer and healthier. However, more people living longer and having more children may lead to problems like overpopulation, scarcity of resources, etc. At a time when many Americans seem to oppose Universal Healthcare- I wonder, how will we care for all these aging Americans? Yes, they’ll be ‘healthier’ than the average 70 or 80 year old, but they will still need healthcare.
It would be nice to be able to have children at a later age, it seems that these days many women do not feel ’settled’ enough to start a family until they are in their mid-late thirties.
I feel that our society can get past its obsession with physical appearance and ‘youth’, we will find that we can age healthily by eating nutritious foods, staying active, and taking care of our friends/families and environment.